Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten PLUS Ten: Reasons Why Tights Are NOT Pants



Ever wondered if you're wearing pants? Well if you've got tights or leggings or spandex on, chances are..you're not. One of my absolute biggest pet peeves in what I see females wearing today, is when they mistake tights for pants. I thought this would be hard to think of ten whole reasons why they aren't (I wish it were obvious to all) but when I started drafting, the reasons came easily.  So here are my top ten reasons why tights (or leggings, spandex, tight yoga pants etc.) are NOT pants. Also, here is a helpful flow chart. And don't forget to skip over to BecKyle's list as well :)

1. Not intended use
It's one thing if someone were just wearing a type of pants too tight or too small, sometimes you're oblivious, or confused thinking it looks good (p.s., it doesn't)...but it's a whole different ball game when you're wearing something that isn't actually classified as pants. I don't understand where the idea came from, because this is not what tights were intended for. Yes there are exceptions like wearing a tighter pant to run in, or tights in ballet, those are situational conveniences, and while I do believe you should practice modesty 24/7, at least that is understandable. But really? They were never supposed to be pants, and never should be.

2. They leave ZERO to the imagination
I feel like that one is self-explanatory. If that's what you're going for, then we need to have a long talk. And if that's not what you're going for, awesome! stop wearing them that way. Aaaaand if you don't wear tights as pants to begin with..thank you, just thank you.

3.Where is the modesty?
I own tights and leggings...want to know why? Because I can modify outfits to be more appropriate with something extra under, such as a dress that is too short-or I can make my wardrobe more multi-seasonal with the option to warm up outfits and not have to buy whole new ones. This is their purpose. I don't care if there isn't any skin showing (sadly half the time there is) it is too tight. That's not modest at all.

4. They are an accessory  
Would you wear a scarf as a shirt? If you answered yes, I just might cry. But as most would hopefully answer no, then I would pose the question, "then why would you wear tights as pants?". Just like a scarf is an accessory, something EXTRA for an outfit...so are tights.

5.What a man sees
I would bet money that if you asked a man what he sees when a woman wears tights as pants, and he honestly answered you...he would say painted legs... naked.painted.legs. Unless your tights are see through and he actually can see your naked legs. Both are a big "no no".

6.Where are they sold?
If your pants are sold in the underwear/sock section, guess what? They aren't actually pants.

7. Getting Dressed
If you have to do the whole "bunch at the foot...ease up your leg...and wiggle" to get your pants on, they are either not pants, or pants that are far too tight. Your pants (or anti-pants for that matter) should not be difficult to put on. Now there are some exceptions, such as pants that still are too tight, but are easily put on..and that is the reason I have proved nine other tell tale signs, and a flow chart. :)

8. Can you bend over?
If anyone behind you gets a full view when you bend over...I'd say it's time to go buy some actual pants. Nobody wants to see that.

9. Too tight
If I hadn't said this before...they're too tight. I don't care how sculpted or toned your legs might be, seriously nobody needs to see you walking around with "painted legs" (see reason #5). They just don't look good, no matter the condition of your legs, you're fooling yourself.

10.Is your skin showing?
Anything else that is THAT showy, is either looked down upon, or simply unacceptable..so why would this be any different? I'm sure we've all seen those pictures floating around the internet of women with underwear showing because they chose not to wear real pants that day..yeah that's not acceptable either, the only difference is...somehow half of America is deluded. I honestly am mind boggled at how it is so common..wwwwhyyyyy *shouted towards the heavens with an expression of despair*. I just don't get it.

In a previous entry of mine, called Girls...Put Some Clothes On I explain my views on modesty, and actually commented on how you should just not get me started on the topic of tights and their anti-pant-ness, and the two go hand in hand. If you haven't read it, check it out! :) Aaaaand again, don't forget to read BecKyle's list as well!

3 comments:

  1. Melany, it is sure pleasing to read a blog by someone that is insightful and well written. Kudos to you for getting your "yours and you'res; there, their, they're" correct. I see so many "educated" college graduates that can't seem to get those correct. Good job! And remember folks, yoga pants are for the yoga studion, NOT EVERYDAY WEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate that, and I agree!

      Delete