Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten PLUS Ten: Children's Books



As of this week, I am beginning the occasional "Tuesday's Top Ten" with a fellow blogger, BecKyle. Ok, let me back it up a little bit..that sounded far too formal :)  Mrs. Becky Lowery-a favorite past teacher of mine, my mother's best friend, and mommy of one (a quite adorable one I might add)- does a weekly "Top Ten" on her blog every Tuesday, and has recently asked me to join her. So I am excitedly presenting you with my first! :) Also, skip on over to her blog and check hers out as well! Click Here to Read BecKyle's Top Ten :)

1. "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney
This book has always been special to me. It is about a child and his father, who are telling each other how much they love one another. The father continues countless times to stretch his arms wider, jump higher, etc, "proving" that his love is greater..it is such a beautiful reminder of how God loves us. We can't even fathom His love, let alone stretch our arms wide enough :)

2. "You are Speical" by Max Lucado
In a nutshell, "You are Special" is about God loving you just the way you are, because He made you just as he intended. No matter the amount of "stars or dots" you have (a concept of popularity used in the book) God's love for you won't ever change.

3. "Disney's Princess Treasury" by various authors
See how I sneakily got away from choosing just 10? :) Oh yeah, if you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm indecisive. I own this treasury, and the front cover is not even still intact..it has endured a lot of love :) Fairy-tales were a big part of my childhood, and this book has some of my favorites. There is a quote by Albert Einstein that says "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales", I love it!

4. "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis
Out of all the books in the series, this is my favorite. It is also widely known, but contrary to popular belief, it is the second out of seven-not first. With wonderful fantasy, and parallels to Jesus Christ, I would recommend any of C.S. Lewis's works to anyone.

5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling
Some would not consider this series as one for children (which also depends on what exactly you consider a child) but I disagree. They are appropriate and a good read. In past entries of mine (My Favorite Gift to have Received and An Ideal Tea Party) I have expressed how important the books have been to me, but the first is my favorite of them all. My copy is falling apart, and I have read it more than any of the others. Definitely worthy of my top 10.

6. "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn
I have loved this book for as long as I can remember. Seriously. It will always be special to me, and I fully intent for my children (Lord willing) to own a copy as well. It is about a child being nervous to leave his mom and start growing up, and how his mom gives him a sweet reminder of her love, even while he is away :)

7. "The Magic Tree House" series by Mary Pope Osborne
I have read so many of these I couldn't give a number, and used to own several. I remember a particular favorite being "A Christmas in Camelot", but could not decide one above the others (it has been so long) so I listed them as a general series. I gained a basic knowledge of much History, and an improved vocabulary from them, they are interesting and imaginative.


8. "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein
Am I the only one who will cry at this book? It is a touching story about a little boy, his tree, and their changes in life. A beautiful picture of servitude and giving, even when nothing is given in return.


9."Pickle Things" by Mark Brown
So I've got this closet love for pickles..OK maybe it isn't so secret after all-but I do love them. The irony of it is, I think it started with this book. Really, the only reason I have for putting it in this list, is the silliness and sentiment. A year or two ago, we recovered my old copy, and thinking I would purchase a new one for my nephew Tristan, I was startled by the cost. Since my childhood, it has skyrocketed in price...there must be something extra special about this book because a new copy is $100! (Don't believe me? The title to all of my books on this list are links... click on it and see for yourself!)


10. "Horton Hears A Who!" by Dr. Seuss
I.love. Dr. Seuss. His works are just wonderful. Horton Hears a Who is one of my favorites of his, and I'm not quite sure why. I enjoy the story-line, and always have. It was exciting to participate in "Seussical the Musical" because I could see, and be a part of a beloved story coming to life. That will always be a favorite musical of mine, much alike this being a favorite book of mine :)


"You're never too old, too wacky, or too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child" :)
-Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. I was almost to the bottom of your list and kept thinking "Why not pickle things why not pickle things" Yay for pickle things!

    ReplyDelete